Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Gatlinburg & Pidgeon Forge, TN - Aug 18, 2010

Open the blinds and what do you see? We are more fortunate than Manuel and Connie. They are way down the hill.

See?
The way to Gatlinburg is absolutely gorgeous. There is a stream that runs just about the whole way through the mountains. I didn't take as many pictures as Connie (and Manuel) but no one can keep up with them. In fact, she took some of MY pictures.





She was taking a picture like the one above.
King Kong has someone!! Somehow the sign below the display doesn't go with the hand.

Look guys, it's Herbie.

That's a looonnnggg way up.

The houses seem to just perch on the mountainside.

This needs no explanation.

So many things to see---robots (not Manuel, behind him)
Such intensity. He was really a trooper though, it was really tough for him to breathe.

This store was filled with these and tattoos. Makes sense to me!!

Caught sight of these guys carrying the huge red somethings.

You KNOW I went in this store after seeing this beautiful glass ship.

You just don't know what you're going to see. Two minutes before this, there was a cat in a screened-in stroller. Doesn't he look proud? (ha ha, I got it made)

Looking down a side street.

These shops have everything.

Many many of the places are on the second floor. Look at all the smoke.

Hmmm, wonder what this is all about?

I'm thinkin' there's a Ripley's Believe It or Not in every tourist trap.

Wish I'd been at a higher level so you could see how pretty this area was.
Check out the curls. Two of the prettiest ringlets you've ever seen.

Vic, I'm not as good as you with flowers. Still pretty.


They not only have upstairs stuff but you can go downstairs to shop, also.


Here you go guys, this reminds me of the hookers in the windows in Skagway, Alaska.

See the brown building in the center? That's where people go to pray AFTER visiting the store above.

Let me tell you, I have learned a valuable lesson from today. Always park at the bottom of the hill so you can go up the hill first and then when you're tired, you can go down. Now this restaurant wants you to know everyone else's food is stale.

Got one of these in a lot of places, too.

On to Pidgeon Forge.

This is how close we got to Dolly Wood. It was not open. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

Anyone want to buy this church? It's a pretty little thing.

Now here's a hotel I wouldn't want to visit. Look at all the critters climbing around.
There's even an eagle perched on the end.

Not a whole lot to see in Pidgeon Forge. Guess it's because it's a holler. (no, that's Butcher's isn't it?)
Back to the mountain drive.
I LIKE this picture of them.

Everybody was taking pictures of everything and everyone.


When we returned to Cherokee, we took pictures of many Indian signs and stuff to show you how the write everything in English and then Indian below. (Only this was the other way around)
Someone said "Get the teepee". I got the teepee. Never saw one with an awning before.

This was an old mill or something.
Maybe not, could be a restaurant. Don't think so, there aren't many of them in Cherokee.

The art that is in this town is unreal. This has to be one of the cleanest, neatest towns I've ever been in.


The Indian Veteran Memorial.

Look Karen, this one is green.

Green on both sides!!

This was in Veteran's park.




Wish I knew what this statue symbolizes. It's an Indian wrapped in an eagle standing on a turtle.



Dinnertime!!!

A picture right above Connie's head in the restaurant.

This was an exhausting day for me so I know it was twice as bad for George. Even though I was tired, I loved every minute of it. So much fun to share times like this with friends.

1 comment:

Connie Esparza said...

It sure was gorgeous but like you said, it was very tiring. We got to see a lot of fun stuff! It was just great! It is so much fun being with you and George.