Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day Three - Joplin, MO

Open your blinds in the morning and what do you see? It seems, my friends, we are traveling with the big dogs!!! Sherman TX, Prevost and Carthage, MO Country Coach.

This is a great beginning for a Sunday morning. It is also one of my favorite places to see.

They have their own RV to travel the country. I saw this coach in Houston when Sam Butcher was on tour. I got one of his pieces signed by him at that time.


Look, Sami, a turle!!

What a pretty place to see.


It's Christmas every day in this place.

Some of the displays.




I have bought six sets of these little gems. (Along with fifteen more pieces to the train)
Lunch!!!!

Then it was on to Schifferdecker Park in Joplin. This is a display across from the Museum. They are huge machines that were used in the past.
The brown barrels are on a track. They were used to haul the rock up from the mines.

The sign says it all.
It is amazing what an artist can do with junk.
Can't you just picture this on a covered wagon?

This crystal vase must have been two feet tall.

An old miner's hat.

There was a whole room dedicated to a miniature circus. The circus parade actually had little people riding the animals. I couldn't take a picture because it was in a dark corner and they wouldn't let me use a flash.

There was a HUGE cookie cutter collection. These are like some I used when my kids were little.

There was also a very large collection of old dolls. This is only representative.
Get a load of this old fire truck. It has a hand crank in the front.

There are only four of these upright grand pianos.

My grandmother used to have an organ exactly like this. Boy, it sure brings back memories.

This jewelry was found in the house when the Barrows gang was brought down.

Some of the minerals mined in the area. Sure wish my dad was here to teach me about all these rocks.
Alli, this is for you. One of the first X-ray machines.

George's mother and mine used this Ironrite to iron white shirts. I can't remember my mom using a regular iron for anything.

Anybody remember these old hair dryers?

Guess I got this out of order. No, it's the other one in the wrong place.


We were checking out downtown Joplin and noticed that there were churches on 'most every corner.

Found this is the midst of things.

This appears to be an old old part of town.


As we were approaching the court house, this is what we saw. Good thing I took this 'cause I didn't get it in the next picture. It looks like an old castle.


Look at the shape of the little white house. It's an adaptation of an A-frame.

This reminds me of the group of stores we had down the street from where I grew up. (wooden sidewalk and all)

Thank you for allowing us to see things from the past and appreciating more of what we have now.

1 comment:

Connie Esparza said...

Awesome, Janet and George. I bet you were in heaven while visiting "Precious Moments!" Nice Prevost and all...

Love all the church pics, too. Thank you for sharing pictures.